Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I'm Coco-nuts!


I simply can't help it.

My inner-hippie loves coconut oil!

I first heard about the health benefits of coconut oil on the news, but I read more about it here (and some other places I can't recall anymore). I haven't actually tried cooking with it yet, but I have been using it for about three weeks now as a ...

FACIAL MOISTURIZER!

I really love it. And, it won't make you break out ... supposedly it helps eliminate acne blemishes and is great for anyone suffering from eczema or dermititis. So far, it's working better than any moisturizer I've used before! It's also fairly inexpensive. I paid $10 for the jar above and it will last me months I'm sure.

Coconut oil comes in a solid form, so if you decide to try it out as a moisturizer you will need to heat it up so that it melts a bit. What I did was put a couple spoonfuls of it in a small glass jar to store in my bathroom. Every night before I put it on, I let hot water run against the jar to melt some of the oil. Works perfect! One of the cons about using coconut oil versus a regular moisturizer, though, is that your skin will look and be greasy after you put it on ... it takes a bit for it to absorb. For me, it works out OK, because I always watch TV for a while before going to sleep anyway, so once my head hits the pillow the oil is absorbed!

1 comment:

Vanessa Rogers said...

interesting. I will have to try it!