Monday, October 18, 2010

Just Did It!


I probably should have blogged yesterday after the marathon, to give y'all the details on the race, but I was so friggin' sore and tired that I just couldn't do it. I'm back home in Ohio now - still sore and tired - but ready to blog!!!!

On Sunday morning, we left for the race at 5am. It was early and cold and I was like "Oh hell no. This is not good!" Luckily, though, I had my big girl panties on so I toughened up pretty quickly and was rarin' to go! We made it to San Francisco just before 6am and were at the start line in plenty of time. There were TONS of people there ... over 20,000 women participated in the race! The marathon started at 7am, but there were so many people there that we didn't end up crossing the start line until like 7:23am ...

Once we finally started moving it was all good. The first couple of miles were easy and I started to get over confident about my amazing half marathon abilities ... until ... I hit the hills. They were KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The first couple weren't bad, but then we started to hit hills that seemed to go up FOREVER. I was still managing pretty well, though, until I hit mile 8. For whatever reason, mile 8 sucked balls. I started to get tired and my feet were really hurting, but I pushed on! By mile 10, I was really hating life. It had been raining for quite a while by this point and my backpack thingy broke so I was carrying that and holding the extra weight was not fun. My feet also felt like they were completely covered in blisters. And ... the hills! Every time I saw a hill I was like "Seriously go f&*! off. I'm done with you!"

Butttttttttt, I finished it.

I finished the half marathon in 3 hours 12 minutes and 24 seconds ...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was totally psyched!

That was my personal best. The Monday before the race I walked 12 miles in 3 hours and 20 minutes, so my goal for the race was just to get it done in 4 hours. I figured the hills would slow me wayyyyy down ...

But, they didn't!

I kicked ass.

I'm totally happy with myself. (And, I only ended up with 2 blisters!)

I'm not even gonna talk about what happened after the race, because I'm still traumatized by it. Basically, after walking 13.1 miles we were forced to walk another 3 miles just to get to the bus to take us back to the start line and then the bus dropped us off AT A HILL where we then had to walk like another mile back to the car. It was still raining and I was cold and wet and my muscles were so stiff and sore that I literally hobbled ... it was awful! (To the women that did the full marathon, I can't even imagine how you must have felt ... YOU ARE AWESOME!)

It was all good though ... Look at my cool new necklace that I got for completing the race!!!!!  (I also got a cool Nike bag and a dri-fit shirt ... but they're just not as blog worthy as my new necklace.)


Totally sweet.

All in all, it was a great half marathon and a great trip. I got to see all the cool sights that San Fran has to offer ... Tiffany was even nice enough to take me all the way to San Quentin just so I could see the prison! Come on, how can someone take a trip to Cali and not want to see the massiveness that is San Quentin?


It rocked.

I can't wait to do it all over again!

2 comments:

Jamie Fox said...

Good job! I've never had the balls to run a marathon, but I would like to do so someday.

Danielle said...

Make it your goal! It's a great feeling when you complete it :)