Friday, July 9, 2010

Pizza Night! (APAD)

The 291st picture in "A Picture A Day" series.


I'm home alone.

YAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

So, I'm throwing myself a little party with some pizza, a jug o' wine, and a little Netflix instant play!

God I love instant play.

I'm watching The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo, right now. If you haven't read the book, you should. It's really good. So is the second one, The Girl Who Played With Fire. I'm still waiting for the third one, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest, to come out in paperback ... I just can't get myself to spend $25 on the hardcover version.

Anyway, during my little party, I started thinking about my favorite TV shows of all time and paused the movie to obsessively look them up on Netflix to see if they are available to watch instantly. Since I'm sure you're just dying to know what my favorite shows are, I thought I'd treat you all to my top 10 list (in no particular order) ... Oh I know the suspense is killing you ...

#1: The Wire - O.M.G. ... I freakin' love this show! It took me awhile to get into this one ... The first few episodes were really slow for me. So, if you do watch this and don't like it initially give it a few episodes. For me, The Wire is like a Sociologist's wet dream. Oh yeah, it's that good! It takes place in Baltimore and deals with cops and thugs. Unlike any other cop drama, though, The Wire portrays the complexity of crime. Each season takes on a different societal institution (drug trade, port system, schools, politics, media) and illustrates how they intertwine, their dysfunction, and the effects on the people within them. The characters and actors in the show are unbelievable! Too bad it only lasted 5 seasons ...

#2: Rome - This show is set in Rome (duh!) during the Julius Caesar era - whenever the hell that was. I'm guessing it was some time in the BC's. It follows two Roman soldiers, Lucius Vorenus and Tito Pullo, and their participation and/or witness to major events that happened in this period. Basically, though, this show just has some hot guys and a lot of blood and guts. It doesn't get better than that! The only bad part about Rome is that there are only like 2 seasons and that kinda blows.

#3: Carnivale - This show is set during the Great Depression and is basically about a battle between good and evil. It follows two different plot lines: one is about this kid who joins a traveling carnival and the second is about this freaky preacher who has evil powers. Ok ... I didn't do the greatest job of describing it, but whatever. Just watch it. It rocks. This show only lasted for 2 seasons which really irks me because the end of the second season didn't wrap up any of the storylines. I hate when that happens.

#4: Mad Men - Drinkin', smokin', and screwin' - pretty much sums it all up. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's true. It's set in the 1960's and revolves around a bunch of ad execs and their playboy lives. It's really quite good. Me likey this show. The fourth season is coming out at the end of the month.

#5: The Sopranos - Um, duh!!!!!!!!! There's no way I could fuhhgeddaboud this show! I love the mother freakin' mob!

#6: Extras - Ricky Gervais is a comedic genius. One of the funniest shows I've ever stumbled upon!

#7: Dexter - This show gets my serial killah juices flowing! If you like cops, killers, dead people, hacked up body parts, and a little bit of suspense then you will love Dexter. Seriously, you should watch it. It's on Netflix Instant Play too, which totally rules.

#8: The Riches - Eddie Izzard is in this show!!!!! Please don't tell me you don't know who he is. Please. Don't. Do. It. If you really don't know, then you need to watch his stand up, Dressed To Kill, IMMEDIATELY. Basically, the show is about a family (Mom, Dad, three kids) of con artists. Well, there's more to it than that, but I'm getting tired of typing so just google to find out more. It's super cool, though, and also on Netflix Instant Play. Like so many other good shows cancelled too soon, this only ran for two seasons. Boooo.

#9: Dick Van Dyke Show, Mary Tyler Moore Show, and I Love Lucy - Can you say, hellooooooo Nick At Nite! I mean, really? How can you not love these shows????!!!!!

#10: The Office - Oh man, where do I even start? I have laughed through every single episode of this show, which is saying a lot since there's like 6 seasons and probably 5,000 episodes. It's hard to keep a show that funny for that long! I also used to work in a seriously warped and disturbed version of The Office, which is probably why I like it so much. (Oh the stories we can tell, right Steph?)

So, there they are. Oh sure, I'm leaving out some of my favs like True Blood, Sex and The City, Entourage, Deadwood, etc ... but I just didn't feel like doing a top 20 list. Top 10 was long enough! It's also been kinda disturbing to see how many shows I like and how much TV I must watch. Jesus H, man. Maybe I should go outside once in awhile ...

Or not.

Happy Friday everyone!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I frickin' love I Love Lucy!!!

Vanessa Rogers said...

I watched all of those nick at nite shows growing up. Get smart was my favorite, but they didn't show it long enough. thanks for the suggestion of the wire. I have good things but haven't seen it.

Danielle said...

I love Get Smart too! I was also a fan of Dragnet. Oldie shows are the best!