Sunday, July 18, 2010

Green-ified!!! (APAD)

The 300th picture in "A Picture A Day" series.


Picked me up a compost tumbler from Tractor Supply Company and now I'm officially a composter!

Technically, I've been composting for probably about two years ... it's just a huge pile of grass clippings, weeds, flower heads, rotten garden vegetables and paper at the back, back part of my yard. I never intended for this to be a compost pile when it started ... I was just too lazy to get a garbage bag.

There are a couple problems with my unofficial pile, though: (1) I never shred or chop anything that gets thrown in there. Last year, I would just throw whole watermelons and rotted pumpkins on top of it ... probably not the best idea. (2) I never turn it, so it doesn't get the needed oxygen, and I don't put the right mix of green and brown stuff in ... so if you get too close to it, it's quite stinky. Luckily, only the people who walk through the back alley can smell it and who cares what creepy alley-walkers think anyway.

BUT ...

I wanted to start composting the right way so I could compost more stuff, like food scraps and other household waste that would otherwise be trashed. I also really want to use the dirt from composting for my garden. Soooooooo, that's why I got the tumbler!

If you want to compost too, but don't want to spend $100 on a tumbler like I did, you can always build your own bin/box. I thought about building one - for like a second - until I came to my senses and said to myself, "Oh hell to the no, you're too lazy for all that!"

Happy composting y'all!

No comments: