Saturday, June 12, 2010

Food Ventures (APAD)

The 264th picture in "A Picture A Day" series.


Today I tried quinoa (pronounced keen-wah).

It reminds me of a grain, but apparently it's more related to green, leafy veggies like spinach. Quinoa is considered a complete protein, meaning it contains all of the amino acids and it's also high in manganese, iron, copper, magnesium, and phosphorus ... the health peeps say these are all good things for your bod :) So in my pursuit to incorporate more "superfoods" in my diet, rather than my current staples of powdered mini donuts, I decided to try it.

I soaked the quinoa in water for about 15 minutes ... one site said this helps quinoa cook more evenly. Then, I put a 1/2 cup quinoa in 3/4 cups of water and let it boil until the water evaporated. Then I just mixed in whatever I felt like, which turned out to be about 1 cup of diced tomatoes, some chiles, and then some sea salt and black pepper.

It was .....

pretty OK.

I thought it was going to be like rice, but it's not. Although you could probably substitute quinoa for rice in any recipe. It's crunchy and the flavor is nutty. For whatever reason, it really reminded me of that cereal Grape Nuts. I haven't had Grape Nuts in years, so I could just be crazy, but that's really what I kept thinking of when I was eating it.

Although I liked my thrown-together-quinoa recipe, I think next time I'll actually try to find a real recipe. Quinoa definitely intrigues me, but I'm not head over heels for it just yet!

No comments: