Friday, June 4, 2010

Bringin' Flax Back (APAD)

The 256th picture in "A Picture A Day" series.



Ever since I started drinking Green Monsters, I've been cyber-stalking the Green Monster creator, Angela's, website. Angela has a lot of healthy recipes and links to other health/foodie bloggers. Awhile ago, I posted reviews of a couple of her recipes I tried out. Well, I tried another one!

I made her Flax + Oat Breakfast Power Muffins. Ok, I know the name makes them sound really, really healthy like the - blech, no thanks that tastes like cardboard - kind of healthy. But, I thought WTH ... I'll give it a whirl.

Here's Angela's recipe:

1 ripened banana
2 tsp. Olive Oil
1 organic brown egg (I just used a regular ol' egg)
1/4 cup non-packed brown sugar
1/2 cup freshly grounded flax seed (I buy the already ground stuff)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 tsp. baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease 6 muffin tins. Mash banana into a medium sized bowl. Beat in oil, egg, and brown sugar. Grind 1/2 cup flax in a blender for a couple mins. In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (Oats, grinded flax, whole wheat flour, baking soda). Add dry ingredients into wet and stir. Do not overmix. Add nuts or dark chocolate chips if preferred. Spoon into muffin tins. Bake for 15-20 mins. makes 6 power muffins.

This recipe is soooo easy! And, surprisingly, I love these muffins! Now, keep in mind that they don't have tons o' sugar in them, so they're not going to taste like a muffin you would buy in a store or even make from a package. They are definitely healthy, but good at the same time.

I would highly recommend Angela's muffins as a mid-morning/late afternoon snack-a-roo!

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: