Saturday, May 29, 2010

Phagophobia (APAD)

The 250th picture in "A Picture A Day" series.


Among the many fears I suffer from, swallowing pills is one of them. I've suffered from it since childhood. This makes my morning routine of taking a multi-vitamin incredibly torturous. Mason can't even be in the same room with me when I take them, because it's so painful to watch.

Basically, it begins with me having to take a few moments to psyche myself up. Then I put the vitamin in my mouth, attempt to chug water, and begin dry heaving ... violently. I usually end up spitting it out, along with a bunch of water, and then have to try it again. It's really quite awful.

I think the fear of swallowing pills stems from a fear of choking to death. Did I ever tell you about the time I almost choked on a tootsie roll? Yeah, I was out in the boonies doing a visit for work and stopped at this little run down gas station to use their nasty bathroom. I bought a pop and a bag of tootsie rolls. Before I drove away, I popped a tootsie roll in my mouth and - I don't know what happened - but basically I started choking on it. All I could think about during what I thought were the last moments of life, was that I was going to die out in B.F.E. from a freakin' tootsie roll. And, when my body was found it would probably just be thrown in the middle of the nearby national forest, never to be discovered, because I'm sure mine wouldn't be the first dead body to turn up in that gas station parking lot. And, regardless of my accidental death, the gas station owners wouldn't want the police poking around, since I'm fairly certain the gas station is just a front for a larger drug operation. Then, just like that, the tootsie roll shot out from my throat and hit the windshield!! Whew!

So, yeah, anyway ... I'm a phagophobic. (Don't laugh Stephanie!)

I just wish that I had a fear of chocolate or fried foods or something like that. I'd be so much skinnier if that was the case!

No comments: