Saturday, April 24, 2010

Guns, Beans, and a Parsnip. (APAD)

The 215th picture in "A Picture A Day" series.



I shot my first gun today! For some reason, I was really nervous about it, but Mason and my BFF's coaxed me through it. I shot off about 20 rounds and actually hit the target a couple of times! Not bad for my first time, eh?

Now I can bust a cap in yo' ass if ya mess wit me, ya hear?!

After I grew some balls and finally shot guns, I came home and decided to try out some new recipes. I've been reading a blog called Oh She Glows and there's a ton of healthy recipes on there that I've been wanting to try. (Angela, the blog creator, is also the mastermind behind the Green Monsters I've been drinking.) I made the Parsnip Fries and Spicy Black Bean Burgers.

Prior to tonight, I had never seen or eaten a parsnip before. So, when I went to the grocery store to pick some up I was a little scared when I saw what it actually looked like.


Come on! That thing is freaky and gross looking! Tiffany was scared too, because when I texted her the picture, she replied with "Eeeewwwwwww." But, I went ahead with the recipe anyway because Angela said on her blog that "these fries will change your life!" How could I possibly pass up a life changing event??

The recipe itself was really easy:

•3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into thin fry-like strips

•1 Tbsp almond butter

•2 Tbsp chunky peanut butter

•1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

•1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt

Preheat oven to 400F. Peel and cut parsnips into fry-like strips. Mix together the nut butters, olive oil, and salt in a bowl. Toss parsnips in bowl until coated. Line up on baking pan and cook at 400F for 30-50 minutes until crisp.

I cooked them for about 40 minutes and they were a little soggy, so I probably should have left them in for longer. As for the taste, they were OK. Parsnips have an interesting flavor that I liked. The peanut buttery sauce also tasted good. I just think they were a little too sweet and desserty for me. I like my fries salty. I'd definitely make parsnip fries again, maybe just with a saltier and spicier sauce.

Next were the Spicy Black Bean Burgers. This recipe was also super easy:

•1.5 cup black beans, drained and rinsed

•1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I had to use more flour than this, probably about 2 Tbsp. more.)

•fresh black pepper

•salt

•1 garlic clove

•2 tsp. EVOO

•2 Tbsp Tipsy Whiskey BBQ Sauce (I used 2 Tbsp. of Worcestershire's Sauce instead)

Mash everything together, shape into patties, and brown. (This was supposed to make 4burgers, but I only got 3 out of it.)

I loved these! They tasted soooooo good. Even Mason thought they were OK, which is a big deal because usually he chokes on most of my healthy recipe attempts and says, "Um, yeah, that's good if you LIKE EATING THE EARTH!" I would definitely make these again.

Sooooooo, other than my recipes, there's not much new in Chauncelot. Well, I guess there was some excitement a few days ago when a trailer on my block was raided in a drug bust. Unfortunately, I wasn't home to engage in the excitement or snag any pics ... just my crappy luck! I also haven't seen Albert since he tried to kidnap my dogs :( Yep. Things have been quiet lately. Luckily, though, I live in Chauncelot and things never stay that way for long!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[url=http://ivlkrwnnz.com]DajjNlZj[/url] - zXZrcOSM - http://yuxeflk.com