Saturday, February 20, 2010

Two Thumbs Sideways (APAD)

The 152nd picture in "A Picture A Day" series.



Tonight was movie night with the BFF.

We saw The Wolfman.

The previews for it looked awesome, but, unfortunately for us, the movie was not so awesome. The storyline was super predictable. There were no gratuitous sex scenes. The special effects really weren't that great. And, the acting coulda been better. The only saving graces of the movie were the scenery (dark, old timey England is cool) and Benecio Del Toro. As the BFF and I discussed, they probably should have premiered this movie during Halloween or, at the very least, on the night of a full moon. It might have made it a little more interesting to watch.

After the movie, the BFF and I were discussing our love for Benecio, but, sadly, couldn't remember any of the movies he's been in. Mason quickly reminded us of perhaps the best role he has ever had - Dr. Gonzo in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. If you haven't seen Fear and Loathing, you have to. I love that movie. I want them to bring it back to theaters. I could watch it over and over again. Hunter S. Thompson, the guy the movie is based on, was one of the freakiest dudes ever. And, if you don't know who I'm talking about, SHAME ON YOU! You should immediately google him and then rent both the movie, Fear and Loathing, and the documentary, Gonzo.

Am I the only one that reminisces about great movies, after I see a crappy one?

So, back to my review of The Wolfman ... if you're thinking about going to see this in the theater, don't. Just wait for it on DVD.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

I must have been in the theater with you yesterday. I liked it ok too. Too much random gore, and too many explosive flammables in the mansion. And who would have thought werewolves were so combustible? Del Toro was also in "Traffic", a decent if preachy movie about the Mexican drug trade.