Saturday, January 9, 2010

Top 8 (APAD)

The 110th picture in "A Picture A Day" series.




I'm a huge foreign film fan. I love, love, love them! There's so much depth to foreign and independent films, which is why I prefer watching them over most mainstream movies. Tonight I watched the movie, Thirst. It's about vampires ... my favorite! Overall, I thought it was pretty good, but the first half of it was really kinda boring. After that, though, it became psycho. And, I love psycho! Anyway, this got me thinking about my favorite foreign films, so I've compiled my top 8 list below (all with links) in case you want to dip your feet in the foreign cinema ...

1. Pan's Labryinth - This movie takes place after the Spanish Civil War. It centers around a girl named Ofelia and a fantastic world she encounters. This movie is sad, beautiful and amazing.

2. The Orphanage - This Spanish horror flick centers around a woman, Laura, and her family who go back to live in her childhood home that once was an orphanage. Guillermo del Torro, who directed Pan's Labryinth, helped produce this movie. While I wouldn't say this movie is scary, there are definitely a lot of twists and turns and creepy moments.

3. The Lives of Others - I freakin' love this movie. It's a German film set in East Berlin. It follows the Stasi and their investigation of a prominent playwright. The ending had me crying ... and it takes a lot to get me to cry!

4. La Vie En Rose - This is a French film about Edith Piaf, a legendary French singer. I had never even heard of her until I saw this movie. Let me just say that the actress who plays Edith is simply amazing. She made the movie. This is another tear-jerker.

5. Run Lola Run - A fast-paced German film that follows a woman who needs to get thousands of dollars in order to save her boyfriend's life ... and she only has 20 minutes to do it.

6. Wings of Desire - I first watched this in my German class in high school and fell in love. It's like poetry on screen. Amazing.

7. Three Colors Trilogy (Blue/White/Red)- These are French/Polish films whose names represent the colors of the French flag. The themes of each movie also explore the meaning behind each of the colors in the flag: liberty, equality, and fraternity. Juliette Binoche is in Blue and I think she's a beautiful and fabulous actress, so that makes me like this trilogy even more.

8. La Femme Nikita - I think this is my all-time favorite foreign film. I've seen this probably about 10 times and I love it more and more each time. This is about a hoodlum, turned assassin ... and Nikita is totally bad ass! If you rent this, make sure you get the one with subtitles, though, and not something that's dubbed over in English ... it's just not as good that way.

For those of you that "don't do subtitles" - get the eff over it!!! You're seriously missing out on some great movies. If you watch any of these, let me know your thoughts :)

No comments: