Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Agave Worm (APAD)

The 100th picture in "A Picture A Day" series.


I'm celebrating my 100th picture post with a shot of Mezcal!! Ok ... not really. Aside from the fact that I have to work tomorrow, drinking Mezcal is akin to drinking liquid smoked sausage. It disgusts me. But, what intrigues me about Mezcal is the worm at the bottom of the bottle. What's the purpose? I've never understood the point and no one seems to have the answer. So, I googled it and found various explanations, including that it's a hallucinogenic, an aphrodisiac, and proof that the liquor is indeed high proof - if the worm is intact than you know there's a high alcohol content! The bottom line, though, is the reason for the worm is obscure. No one really knows.

This leads me to believe the real story behind the worm goes something like this: During a drunken escapade, a dude, thinking he was cool and probably trying to impress some random chick, said, "Hey, dare me to put a worm in my tequila and drink it?" "Yeah do it," cry the bar patrons. And so the dude chugs it and then proudly lifts his glass and sticks out his tongue to show all he swallowed the worm. He thinks he's macho and so does the girl 'cause they leave together. All of the other drunk dudes witness the amazing feat of the dude that drank a worm and then got the girl. From that day on Mezcal was bottled with a worm so that all of the brave men who drank it may hope that they too would get lucky. And so ends the drunken story of the Agave worm.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Or maybe the Agave worm is overtaking the Agave fields and there just happens to be one worm in every bottle of tequila made from that agave field. I dunno. But I did hear that it you swallow the worm, you will be extra extra f**ked up.