Sunday, November 22, 2009

Twilight vs. True Blood (APAD)

The 62nd picture in "A Picture A Day" series.





Let me begin my review of New Moon by saying that I thought the movie was just fine. I didn't love, love, love it, but I also didn't hate it. It was fine. I was entertained. I'm just not Twilight-obsessed I guess.

The special effects in New Moon weren't amazing, but some were pretty cool. The werewolves were the best special effect in my opinion. And, the best part of the show. They're so much more badass than the Vamps in this series. And so much hotter. Who wants skinny, pasty-white Edward when you could be hooking up with the awesomeness that is Jacob?

I also thought there were some cheesy moments in New Moon. The one that sticks out most in my mind is when we first see Edward in the movie. Cue the wind, the music, and the slo-mo walk. Yeah it was super cheesy and gross since Edward is nasty looking anyway. Another moment of cheese is when Alice "sees" Bella as a vampire in the future and Bella and Edward are romping through the forest all happy-like and in love. Even the audience was laughing at that part.

The problem I had with Bella in the first movie carried over to this one as well. She's so dramatic. I mean, Bella hardly ever smiles in this movie. She's a total Emo. I get why Edward digs her 'cause he's the same way - an over-dramatic Vamp. I cannot for the life of me understand, though, what Jacob finds attractive about that sour-puss with legs. He could do so much better!

Probably the biggest problem I have with Twilight, though, is the main story line - the romance between Bella and Edward. I know it's "just a movie" but I am bothered by the intensity of their relationship with one another. I don't know how long they've been dating, but it can't be more than a few months. And, ****SPOILER ALERT***** they're going to get married and Edward is going to "change" Bella now? I mean, WTH! Dude, you're a teenager! You've known this guy for like 3 months and now you are going to become a Vampire, which, by the way, is something that can't be undone when you two break-up! I don't know, that bothers me. Every high school girl has a boyfriend that is the "love of her life" and they're going to be together "forever." Annnnnnnnd, that never happens!

I also am not totally clear why Bella wants to become a Vamp so badly. It was pretty apparent in the movie that she is obsessed with age even though she's just a teenager. The problem, in her eyes, is that Edward will always look the same, while she will grow old and wrinkley. So is that why she is desperate to be turned? So she stops aging? That's ridiculous to me if that's the reason, but I didn't really get that part. Maybe it would help if I read the books?

So, although I thought New Moon was entertaining, the Twilight saga is not even in the same ballpark as my favorite show, True Blood. In my opinion, True Blood is the adult version of what Twilight is for kids. True Blood offers gore, erotica, great characters, great acting, suspense, humor, and adult plot lines. Twilight offers a teenage romance, a bit of cheese, and a hot Werewolf. True Blood can't top the hotness of Jacob the Werewolf as of yet.

For the kiddies in your life, I would recommend the Twilight series. However, you may want to read an interesting critique of it here. For all adults, just bypass Twilight and head straight to True Blood. The series won't disappoint. If I had to sum up True Blood in three words, I would say: Boobs, blood, and badass-ness.

True Blood wins in the Vamp wars, hands down.

No comments: