Monday, October 12, 2009

"I' "Don't" "Get" "It"!? (APAD)

The 22nd picture in "A Picture A Day" series.



This sign seriously irritates me. I drive past it almost every day and I cannot, for the life of me, understand why there are quotation marks around the word "No". I'm not a punctuation expert by any means, but I'm pretty sure when you use quotation marks for phrases or words that are not direct quotes it suggests that the word holds the opposite meaning or stands for something else entirely. For example, if I wrote the phrase, Miley Cyrus is "talented," you would know I meant the opposite. So, perhaps the author(s) of that sign intended for the "No" to be in quotation marks. Maybe they are actually inviting people to turn around in their driveway. Or, maybe, in their crazy state of rage caused by people turning around in their driveway, they put quotation marks around the "No" in an attempt to emphasize to people that they are NOT TO TURN AROUND HERE!!!!! Duh, dudes. That's why you bold it, underline it, make that word bigger, or, my personal favorite, just let loose and do all three.

As I was doing research for this post, I came across a really cool blog: The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks! How cool is that!? It's really funny. I'm submitting my picture, so keep your eyes peeled for it!


1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I think you should chop the sign down in the middle of the night. Just to see what happens.