Sunday, October 25, 2009

An Abstract Mystery (APAD)

The 35th picture in "A Picture A Day" series.





We got this piece from one of our friends who moved away and his wife didn't want him to bring it with. She hates it. I like it for it's colors. It goes well with our Trainspotting poster hanging on the opposite wall. It's by artist, Alexander Calder. It's a lithograph. Don't ask me to explain a lithograph because I really don't understand it. I think it's how they make posters and stuff nowadays. But, at one time I believe artists would actually make lithographs of their own work to show in magazines, etc.

After we got it, I started doing a bunch of research on it, guided only by the "Certificate of Authencity" on the back, which really doesn't contain much information. Basically, I've concluded that Calder made this lithograph for a French art magazine, Derriere le Miroir, published between 1946 and 1982. I can't find a copy of this print anywhere online (maybe 'cause I have it!!), but there's a lot of his other stuff from this magazine that looks very similiar. The lithographs appear to have all been done in the 60's and 70's, so I'm guessing that would be the time period for this piece as well.

Of course, I also had to look at what original Calder pieces were going for at auction ... The signed lithographs go for over $8,000!! Unfortunately, I don't think mine is signed so it probably wouldn't go for nearly that much. There is an online art house that sells some of his other unsigned lithographs, but of course it says "email for price" beside each one and I always forget to email. So, I'm not totally sure how much mine would sell for, but I'm guessing I could get anywhere from $1 to $8,000 for it! My dream is that it is worth $1,000,000 and I can quit my job and become even fatter and lazier than I am now and live happily ever after!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

did you ever find a way to get it estimated?