Sunday, January 4, 2009

Where in the USA?

I'm not a huge fan of Ohio. Well, at least I don't really care for the area that I live in right now. There are limited job opportunities, everyone knows your business, and the closest Target is 50 minutes away! YUCK! So, the plan is that once Sean graduates from high school, which is about 2 1/2 years from now, we're going to start the process of movin' outta here! YAY! I thought I'd get a jump start on this by starting a list of possible places to move. I posted it on the fridge so that we can add to the pros and cons of each place to help us make the final decision.

We came up with 5 cities to choose from:

Madison, Wisconsin (my pick) - PROS: Close to a good school so Mason and can get our Ph.D's if we choose; It's only about 4 hours or so from my family in Minnesota. CONS: Wayyyyy too cold!

Overland Park, Kansas (my pick) - PROS: About a half hour away from a good school. Only about 6 hours aways from my fam. Listed in 2008 Money Magazine as one of the top places to live in the USA. CONS: Tornados!

Bozeman, Montana (Mason's pick) - PROS: Sparsely populated. Gorgeous! Close to a good school for grad work. CONS: Cold! Wayyyy too far away from Minnesota. Sparsley populated (everyone might know your business, which is badddd).

Redding, California (Mason's pick) - PROS: Closer to Tiffany. Close to good shopping. CONS: Very, very far from Minnesota. High cost of living.

Suburbs of Porland, Oregon (Mason's pick) - I don't know any pros or cons to this one, because Mason picked it ... so I'm gonna have to do some research on Portland living.

Well, this is our list. We'll be picking one of these places to move!

I'll keep you posted :-)

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Redding is beautiful. But if you move to Cali, I suggest moving to the Sacramento area. Cost of living is lower there, and it's the state capital so there are some work opportunities.

Portland is freakin' awesome.
1. I was born there.
2. It's so laid back/hippy/chill.
3. Not sales tax.
4. I'd go see you all the time.
* I'd go see you a lot more though is you moved to Sac.