Sunday, January 25, 2009

Apple Cider Vinegar + No 'Poo = Great Hair!

All is well in the land of no 'poo! Things are still going great for me and I see no reason to go back to 'poo at this point. My hair doesn't look unusually fantastic or anything like that, but like I said in my last post, my itchy scalp and dandruff problem have reduced considerably! Probably the most difficult part of this experiment has been not blow-drying my hair. I absolutely hate the way it air drys and I really hate going to work with wet hair. Ugh. But, I guess if that's the worst part about it, I can't complain too much! I also want healthy hair that doesn't break and frizz, so I think I can deal ...

Ok, so I tried the apple cider vinegar thing - I put about a tablespoon of vinegar into a huge cup, that I had yet to throw away from my super-sized meal at McDonalds, and filled it to the top with water. I poured it all over my hair and massaged it into my scalp for maybe 1 minute, since I don't have the patience for anything beyond that. Then I just rinsed it out and did my regular routine of washing my hair with conditioner.

So, what did it do to my hair? Well, believe it or not, my hair felt slightly softer after I rinsed out the apple cider vinegar. My scalp also felt really, really clean and it stayed that way for days! Normally, after about 3 days of not washing my hair, my scalp will start to feel a little dirty and there's a little grease at the crown of my head, but not this time! My hair didn't feel like it needed to be washed at all! The thing is, though, I'm not sure if this was due to the vinegar or that, perhaps, my hair is adjusting to the no 'poo routine. Either way, I'm planning on doing the vinegar thing again and, if it continues to work out well, about once a week after that ...

Oh and for those of you wondering, once I rinsed out the vinegar, I couldn't smell it ... I made sure to take a good whiff of my hair, too, before I washed with conditioner.

3 comments:

Vanessa Rogers said...

The apple vinegar thing- how often are you supposed to do that? Once a month or something like that right? I have been reading up on this no-poo business, and I am thinking about doing it but I am not sure I am prepared enough being in this foreign country where I can't read any labels on my conditioner bottles or anything else for that matter. I don't even know if Apple cider vinegar exists in Korea!

Tiffany said...

you are so gangsta.

Danielle and Mason said...

I've read people that do it a couple of times a week to every few weeks or so. I probably wouldn't do it more than 1-2 a week.

If you do try it, let me know how it goes!!