Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Random Newsletter

So, I drive up to my house after work and, as I pull in the driveway, I notice something sitting on the porch with shiny things on it. WTH??!!


I get out of the car and walk up to it and realize it's some sort of a note with pennies on top of it. Again, WTH??!!



Then, it occurs to me: it's a newsletter! I think I mentioned in my first post that our neighbor's granddaughters will leave us candy, fake money, love letters, and sometimes even a newsletter. We haven't gotten anything in almost a month so it kinda took me by surprise when I saw it sitting there today.

I don't really know if I would call this a newsletter as it seems more like a homework assignment:


I really don't get it. It's driving me crazy ... What does it mean, "Answer the question that makes 8?" What's the answer? I mean, 4 + 4 makes 8, but so does 7 + 1 or 5 + 3 or 6 + 2 or 8 + 0 and then you get into all the possibilities with subtraction, division, or even multiplication. And, WTH is the 0 + 0 stuff at the very top? Is this more than just a math problem? Is it really supposed to be some mathematical metaphor for life? If I solve this problem will I in turn solve my personal problems? Do these girls somehow know that I'm going through an existential crisis? Is this assignment meant to help me through it. AAAAAHHHH, the torture!!!!

3 comments:

Sissytits McGraw said...

You have to put the two zero's on top of one another to get an 8. Stupid kids, they can't fool me!

Tiffany said...

On another note, I just watched part of The Happening last night and I have a new math riddle for you.

If I give you one penny on Monday, two pennies on Tuesday, four pennies on Wednesday, eight pennies on Thursday, and keep multiplying by two the number of pennies I gave you the day previous, how much money would you have at the end of one month?

Danielle and Mason said...

over 10 million